More Progress!

Welcome back to my blog! I have decided to change the title of my blog to A Spotlight On Cancer: Characterizing The Steatohepatitic Variant of Hepatocellular Carcinoma. This new title is a lot more specific and accurate than my old title. Over the course of my internship, the focus of my project has deviated slightly from it's original intentions, and the change in title was long overdue.

As for my project, I'm almost done identifying the lesions for all 26 patients in my sample. Now i just need to wait for my mentor, Dr. Silva, to approve my work for the next phase of the project - bioinformatics.

What is bioinformatics? Basically, it is the science of interpreting complex biological data. All the work I did with identifying lesions on the patient MRI scans was only the data collection part of the project. The Image J software converts them into pixel data, which will be analyzed by a machine learning laboratory in ASU. Hopefully, this will be completed before the end of my senior research project.

My project coordinator, Dr. Zwart, has been on maternity leave, and Dr. Silva is very busy, so I've mainly been working with Sikh, an ASU student fellow. I also met Dr. Silva's daughter, another student fellow working with Mayo Clinic, who helped teach me how to use all the different software.

Last week, I decided to take the shuttle to visit the Mayo Clinic Hospital in Phoenix, and got a fun little tour of the radiology department. I explored a variety of different equipment and machinery, and even had the opportunity to observe operations from an MRI control room. So that was exciting.

Comments

  1. Hi, Richard. I am excited to see your project progressing. I can't wait to see your presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exciting to see your project change and see where it goes. Excited to see the results from the laboratory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great now that your moving into bioinformatics. With luck, you'll be able to see the end before the last 2 weeks are over. What are you going tip be doing while the machine learning lab analyses the data?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! What else do you need to accomplish for your project to be complete? The touring of the radiology department sounds really interesting. I'm looking forward to your final results!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great to see that you have came all the way to week 8 with lots of progress. I am certain that you will complete everything by the end of the senior projects! I hope to hear more about the results! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bioinformatics sounds really interesting. It seems like you have really been able to narrow down your interests through this project. I hope everything goes well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Richard!
    That is so cool that you got to observe some operations! Hopefully you will finish your work before the end of the senior projects. Good luck!
    -Jileena Mehta

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you think you'll come back to doing this sort of stuff in the future? Or will your career deviate from this?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Gathering the Data

Getting Started

Image Analysis And What I Learned