Looking Back

Welcome back to my blog! Thank you for continuing to read my posts from week to week. Now we have reached the final week of my senior research project. Time flies!

My work at the clinic is coming to an end. As I get ready to leave my cozy little office in the radiology lab, I can't help but reflect on my time at Mayo Clinic. It was a challenging, and at times tedious experience, but it was always fun, and that is what I like most about my project. I had the opportunity to do something that I enjoyed doing, to pursue my interests. Additionally, the food in the staff cafeteria was excellent, so that was a huge bonus.

I have also learned some valuable lessons over the past ten weeks. I hope that those of you who plan to undertake a senior research project in the future can learn from my experiences.

  1. Research can be tedious. At times, progress is painfully slow, but oftentimes this is when your work is most significant and meaningful. You just need to be patient.
  2. Research is highly collaborative. Your work may be only a small part of a much larger project. But this also means that every component is vitally important to the larger whole. 
  3. An open mind is essential. If you encounter a difficult problem and hit a roadblock, back away from it for a while and approach it from a different perspective. You might find something unexpected. Otherwise, it is very easy to lose focus or become obsessed on the tiniest details.

I would also like to give special thanks to my mentors Dr. Zwart, Dr. Silva, and Sikh, as well as my faculty adviser Mr. McClernon, who helped me draft a detailed project proposal and abstract. I am very grateful for all the time and effort they devoted into supporting me. I learned and experienced so much through the course of this project and none of it would have been possible without them.

Currently, my main focus is on my presentation, and although I do not have the final results I hoped to attain, I have more than enough content to share. If you have any further questions about my project or my experience at Mayo Clinic, I'll be happy to answer them below, in the comments!

Comments

  1. Hi Richard! I really like the new format of your website! Your project was really interesting and I look forward to your presentation. Thank you for the brief overview of what you learned. I'm sure it will be useful when I am completing a SRP myself. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Richard, the entire project has intrigued me to the fullest, and I thank you for it. I learned a lot from this blog of cancer, which is what I want to study later down the road. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's unbelievable I thought this blog was started only 10 weeks ago. Your project was extremely helpful in teaching me more about cancer and it's differences. I hope your presentation goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great project Richard, i'm sad it must come to an end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Richard! Throughout your blogging, you were able to maintain a clear point of view and made it easy to follow! Kudos to you! It was fun following along!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Gathering the Data

Getting Started

Richard Bao