Richard Bao

Hello! My name is Richard Bao. Throughout the following months, I will be working on my Senior Research Project at Mayo Clinic. The focus of my project is the imaging of cancerous tumors in the abdominal and chest areas. Utilizing several biomarkers, I will analyze and quantify visible and sub-visible image features. The goal of my research is to establish correlations that will allow me to assess the diagnostic and prognostic abilities of these various biomarkers. Ultimately, through this project, I hope to reveal valuable insight into tumor growth and progression, as well as use my findings to make treatment recommendations.

Throughout high school, I developed a deep fascination for science. I loved my science classes because they gave me the opportunity to apply my knowledge. The many lab experiments excited me. They provided a sense of discovery, the feeling of unraveling a mystery, exploring a new idea. There is an immense beauty and elegance in the way science can be used to describe the world around us.

I discovered my motivation for pursuing biomedical research during my sophomore year, when I first came to Mayo Clinic as a volunteer in the Oncology branch. My experience with the cancer patients deeply affected me. I witnessed their immense suffering. It pained me to see how much they had to endure under the very treatments that were supposed to help them. Sometimes, they are forced to sacrifice their bodies and their most basic human dignities just to survive. Many are left with deep physical and mental scars, wounds that will never fully heal. I became grimly aware of the many limitations of modern medicine and technology. I realized that I wanted to create something better. I wanted to use science to help people. I wanted to dedicate my life to this cause.

Throughout the subsequent years, I actively involved myself in scientific research. I pursued opportunities at ASU and worked under the mentorship of Professors. I obtained an internship at Systems Imagination, a bioinformatics company, where I helped normalize the TCGA database and identify genomic correlations. Later, I worked in the Hagey Laboratory at Stanford, where I conducted independent research into senile osteoporosis. These experiences taught me valuable laboratory skills and re-enforced my passion for scientific research.

Now, as I return to Mayo Clinic for my Senior Research Project, I reflect back on the past, on the many influences that have shaped my life up to the present. I can't wait to begin this new adventure, and I hope to share my experiences with you as well. Every week I will post an update on my progress, a small slice of an exciting story. This blog will also be a place for me to share my hopes, my dreams, my passions. Enjoy :)

Comments

  1. That's such an amazing research project to be doing as a high schooler. As far as you know, are you shadowing researchers/doctors, doing independent work, or something in between? And do you know what specific types of cancers you'll be looking at?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow , this sounds pretty neat. What sort of results are you hoping for? What sort of results do you expect? Also, more importantly, what are biomarkers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a really cool project. How do you think you will be able to quantify your results?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can these biomarkers be used for clinical diagnosis or will these biomarkers be more useful in basic research?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This project sounds like it'll help a lot of people. I don't know much about how this imaging would work, is it possible to explain how? Also, what biomarkers will you be looking for? I imagine there's already some basic idea of what cancer does to the body, what information will you be looking into?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Richard! Your research sounds really interesting and I look forward to following your work. Have you done any research with biomarkers before?

    Many types of treatment and research are applied to other ones than originally intended. To your current knowledge on biomarkers, do you think this research could be applied to illnesses other than cancer? Or is it already used in illnesses other than cancer?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Richard! This project is fascinating and I cannot wait to see your findings throughout these following weeks. Through your past skills and dedication towards the cause I am certain that you will be successful in your goal. Will you be observing different types of cancers with various biomarkers or will you try to limit it one a certain type of cancer?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Richard!Your project is extremely interesting and has stood out to me. When I was a young child, my dream was to become an oncologist, especially when I lost loved ones to cancer. After you have achieved your goal, would your research help solve other types of cancer, like Melanoma?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Richard! Your project is very intriguing and i am very excited to see your results. With your experience with Mayo clinic and your research I am confident that your will be prosperous with reaching your goal. Are you planning on comparing your research to past studies done with biomarkers and cancer?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Richard!
    I loved your first post! I too have seen cancer patients suffering through their treatments, and I have always thought there has to be a better way to treat these patients. I hope that through this project, not only do you learn more about tumors and biomarkers, but you get put on the path to creating a better treatment with less suffering for cancer patients. I am looking forward to hearing more about your progress on your project.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a unique project! I really like how you included the patients' perspectives on their treatment experiences. Also, in later posts, can you explain how imaging would help develop better treatment options?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Gathering the Data

Getting Started

Image Analysis And What I Learned